Monday, March 28, 2011

Reading Rainbow

Lately I've been doing something, I usually almost never do, reading books for fun. Sure, I usually read your share of magazines, In Style, People, Food Network, Everyday Food (the list here is really far too long, you should see our magazine basket), but I never seem to have the patience to sit down and read a book.

That has changed since I started taking the bus to and from work last year, and now, I love having a book to read while riding.

The first one I read recently was, "The Help," written by Kathryn Stockett.

I had received a lot of recommendations on this book, and was lent it by Ben's cousin last fall. It took me months to read it, as I read a few pages at a time on the bus, but I finally finished it when we were in Idaho for Christmas and I had the time to sit down and read big chunks of it.

It's basically about a group of Mid-Twenties females in Mississippi in the 1960's and the Black help that raised them and how they were treated. Historical fiction, right up my alley. Plus, the author writes each chapter from the perspective of a different character, loved that.

The book is now being made into a movie starring Emma Stone set to come out late this summer, I can't wait to see it!

I also just finished The Pioneer Woman's new book, "Black Heels To Tractor Wheels," the story of when she met "Marlboro Man" and how she ended up ditching her big city dreams, for a life she never dreamed of living on a cattle ranch in her native Oklahoma.

Source

I loved this book because her writing is so descriptive, conversational, and not to mention sarcastic. She is a great story teller from her description of the first time she saw her future husband, to the little black boots and Anne Klein jeans she describes that she wore on their first date.

My dilemma now is, I need another good book to read, and I'm scratching my head trying to find one. After reading both these great books in a row, I need to find something else to keep my interest. I've heard "Water for Elephants" is good, but I've also heard there is animal abuse in that book, and I don't think I could handle reading about that if it goes into great, painful detail.

I'm also thinking of picking up copies of my two favorite books, "The Great Gatsby" and "To Kill a Mockingbird," and give those re-reads since it's been so long since I've read them.

What are your all time favorite books? What are some books you would recommend to a friend?

1 comment:

Missy said...

I too started reading more when I started riding the bus to work (granted I've been riding the bus for 5 years now so I've gotten a lot of reading done). I LOVE reading on the bus. And LOOOOOVED The Help. It was one I started on the bus but then couldn't put down - I finished it in three days.

I love Jodi Picoult Books - just finished Sing Me Home which was not her best but very good.

I also re-read to Kill a Mockingbird and came at it from a completely different perspective than when I read it as a kid in high school.

Have you read The Lovely Bones?? Such a good book.