Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tastes of the Season

It's officially fall, the calendar says, and the crisp, non-humid air says it too. Fall is my favorite time of year in Minnesota, it goes by so quickly, but I love wearing sweaters, but still not needing a coat, along with putting on fun hats or scarfs to keep the chill out and add a little oompf your outfit. However, my favorite part of fall, is the food.

Some people dream of Thanksgiving turkey, summer strawberries or Christmas cookies. I long for the days of fresh squash, juicy apples, and warm drinks, yum!

It all usually starts on September 1st when Starbucks puts out their Pumpkin Spice Latte (PSL). No other coffee shop's drinks compare to this delicatessen, even when they try to imitate it.
Wrapping my hands around a warm PSL, and smelling the sweet cinnamon and spice that wafts off the steamed milk, is a true treat. Plus, getting a skim PSL, with no whip, won't ruin your diet.

Enjoying a Pumpkin Spice Latte this week!

Apples will always mean fall to me. From going to get fresh apples from the orchard growing up, to peeling and chopping them to freeze and save to make my mom's delicious apple pie squares at Thanksgiving, the smell of warm apples in the oven is one of the best parts of fall. I'm now a big Apple Crisp cook, because it's just so easy. Here's my go to recipe that I found on About.com years ago, and comes out delicious every time.

This week, I made a great fall recipe found on Girl Meets Life's webpage, Pumpkin Streusel Muffins. I know that you can get canned pumpkin all year long and make these muffins, but really, they're only fitting in fall. They turned out delicious, check them out!
I even got rave reviews from friends on these muffins!

Do you have any fall foods you get excited for??

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

PSL... my fav! I wait all year for it to come, and end up heart broken when it leaves. I made Pumpkin Chocolate Chip scones, and they were delish. They might be my new favorite treat for the fall! More than anything I love the clothes, despite the lack of fall here in Florida.

Cindy said...

Pumpkin seeds are so yum.

My guilty pleasure? mixing peanuts w/candy corn. I won't be doing that this year, but I'll be dreaming of it.