Thursday, September 23, 2010

Running for a Cause

The Final Countdown is on for the San Francisco Women's Marathon (cue this song). October 17th is less than a month away (three and a half weeks, roughly) and I can hardly believe it.

Training has been going well, due in part to my amazing physical therapist who told me back in July when I wanted to cry with IT problems and a bursitis diagnosis, that he would have me up and running this race. Now, thanks to his training and advice, I'll be there, woo hoo!!

So, last weekend, 18 miles in the bag, this weekend, the final long run at 20 miles. HOLY CRAP. I never thought I could run 20 miles, but then, here I am. In fact, until I ran my 15.5 mile run a few weeks ago, I was still unsure as to whether I would be able to run a marathon. But, it was when I finished that run that day, sore, but with a smile on my face that I thought for the first time, "I can totally finish a marathon."

I also had the pleasure of talking to a few women who had already finished this race, and heard their amazing, and inspiring stories, that made me want to take off to San Francisco tomorrow.

My running buddy Katy, who I've mentioned a few times who recently moved to Denver, is also training for her first marathon, the New York City Marathon. And the best thing about it, she's doing it for a good cause, The Achilles Freedom Team of Wounded Veterans.

Katy and I prior to the 2009 Twin Cities 10 Mile Race

The foundation strikes home for Katy, as her younger brother Neil lost both of his legs while serving in Afghanistan in 2005, and the Freedom Team has helped him throughout his journey since that incident.

I normally wouldn't advocate for donations on my blog, so you must know how strongly I feel about this cause. Katy is not only running for Neil, but running for others who have given so much for our freedom.

To read more about why she's running, the Freedom Team, or to donate, click here.

No comments: